For more information about Goal Initiatives or to donate, please visit: https://goalinitiatives.org
Let’s continue to support our restaurateurs!
SQUAK & GOBBLE wants to continuously shine a spotlight on these locations so that it keeps everyone talking about restaurants while we wait for dining rooms to be given the greenlight to re-open and reminds everyone about the great food available now for takeout.
Conversation is an important part of the GOAL Initiatives programs as it allows a sharing of ideas and information.
Enjoy this EP with LE BIRD BAR
‘SQUAWK & GOBBLE’ veut garder l’intérêt et faire parler des restaurants est primordial, le dialogue étant une partie importante des programmes GOAL Initiatives car il permet et met de l’avant un partage d'idées et d'informations.
Joignez-vous aux chefs préférés des Montréalais qui partageront avec vous leurs recettes dans le confort de votre maison.
Le restaurant LE BIRD BAR lance aujourd’hui sa recette de Buuuuutiful bugles with pan con tomate dip.
De nouvelles recettes seront partagées tout au long du printemps et de l’été.
Pan con tomate dip for the beautiful bugle bites
-2 ripe Italian tomatoes
-2 peeled garlic cloves
-¼ - ½ cup of (good quality) extra virgin olive oil
- Grate the tomatoes directly into the dipping bowl, discarding any extra skin that stays in your hand once almost done grating.
- Micro plane (or tiny side of grater) the garlic into the tomato
- Add ¼ to ½ cup of olive oil
- Salt to taste
Note: this sauce can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days. Delicious on toast, or anything really!
Add some freshly sliced jalapenos for a kick!
Buuuuutiful bugles with pan con tomate dip
Yields; 1 tray of happiness for 2-6 people
Time; 1 hour (including all mise en place)
Note to you: this is a loose recipe for a SUPER FUN riff off nachos / pizza / calzone and doesn’t take time to make and can easily be done with kids at home. Have fun with it, the sauces and ingredients used to fill each bugle bite are easily adaptable and easily replaced by your fave fillings, just make sure there’s cheese to bind and keep it all together!
-4X 12-inch wraps;
-4 cups of baby spinach, sautéed with garlic, cooled
-1 cup of shredded mozzarella (or any shredded cheese of your choice!)
-½ cup of shredded parmigiana
-2 cups of air-fried or deep fried or oven baked cauliflower florets
-1 cup in squeeze tube of ranch (or a bowl and an espresso spoon- OR add it to a Ziplock, that’s kinda a makeshift piping bag once you cut the corner!!!)
-1 squeeze tube of BBQ sauce (see above info for no-squeeze tubes)
-1 cup of crunchy fried onion or shallots or even crushed up frito chips!!!
-½ cup of chopped green onion
-Optional; Pickled jalapeños (sliced)
- Get all your mise en place together (all the ingredients prepped as per the left column!) this is the most fun about cooking- having all prep ready to use, so we can build a beautiful tower of cheesy bugle bites. (the name stuck, what can I say)
- For the cauliflower florets; I did mine with a simple corn meal crust; dredge the raw cauliflower, then egg then seasoned cornmeal & air fried for 20 mins at 400.. but you just need some type of filing, so this can be replaced with broccoli or even just more cheese!!
- Set your air fryer to 450, take the pan con tomate bowl or mason jar you plan to use for presentation and put it in the middle of the tray, so you can build your bugles around it, right before you put them in the oven, take the bowl out of the middle to cook the bugles, and easily return it to its designated and saved space after cooking
- Cut your tortilla wrap in half, then cut those sections in half, and once again, those in half! Now you are left with cute little triangles.
- Squeeze a spot BBQ of sauce on the triangle, add a bit of cheese and all the different stuffing, and roll it out like a little bugle!
- Continue to do this until you have a mountain of bugles sitting on top of each other, sprinkling a bit of cheese in between layers so that it all sticks to itself once in the oven. They seem delicate now, but they will really hold up WELL once they are cooked. Trust me
- Cook the beautiful bugle bites for 15 mins* (keep an eye on it if your oven is strong!) add the sauce and serve!
If you make it, please tag and share with me on @labluesy